Sunday, October 26, 2008

October 15th, 2008

Kevin, Dad, and I went to the rally in Hempstead to open the presidential debate to the four other major presidential candidates (Cynthia McKinney – Green & Ralph Nader – Independent being two examples).  We, along with a crowd of at least 250 bodies, pushed our ways toward the gates to Hofstra University.  We were met by police officers in uniform, police officers in riot gear, and police officers on horses.  All forces were used against us in a struggle to lead the protesters back onto the sidewalk.  We complied.  I, being second in line in the crowd behind soldiers (IVAW – Iraq Veterans Against the War), was one of the last civilians to get onto the sidewalk.  We stood there for at least thirty seconds in front of a wall of riot gear cops and horses being ridden by animals.  From the inside realm of the police forces, two cops came out of the wall, grabbed the protester in front of me, and dragged him across the road into the darkness.  We screamed and yelled for justice and an explanation for his removal.  They came again from inside.  This time there were many police and they grabbed two other protesters right next to me and two IVAW soldiers grabbed the protesters to pull them back and all six or so of them fell to the pavement as the crowd grew wild and the horses spun.  As one horse directly in front of me, I panicked for my own safety and attempted to step back without releasing my focus from the horse’s actions.  Then I looked down in front of me and saw the soldier lying on the ground.  The horse was stomping and I then saw his back left hoof rise to buttocks level (of the horse) and stamp straight down on the soldiers temple parallel to the curb.  He bled from his forehead and from his eye.  I never saw him move up or over or even breathe on his own before I had to leave for my own safety.

 

We didn’t make the news.

 

 

And then I think about all the violence I have seen.  Mostly this occurs with humans whether it is a violent incident of a human with a plant, animal, insect, or other instigator/human.  I think about that incident at the protest and at the rallies in Denver at the national convention where law enforcement officers threw pedestrians to the pavement.  I think about [personal introspective recollection I'd care not to share with the internet].  I think about this war my country is fighting in the middle east and of all the sectarian violence that occurs in that region “independent” of us (even though we all know the United States unjustifiably funds Israel in its occupation of Palestine).  These are all examples of violence with humans against humans.  These are all examples of violence in my lifetime.  I think of that nirvana; I think of that harmony yet to be had on my individual level and wonder, is it possible?  Is it possible for a body to see the violence and not scream?  Is it possible for a body to see the violence and not cry?  Is it possible for a body to see the violence and be?


No comments: